23 February 2008

Bird-watching in Bristol and a close encounter with the police!

When I was in school, Bird watching, used to be one of my hobbies. Every sunday, I`d borrow a pair of binoculars from my biology teacher and head off into the woods around the school to catch a glimpse of some elusive feathered friends. I would end up having an adventure each time, so much so that I`d often skip the school lunch -and munch on raw carrots and radishes from a farm en route to douse my hunger - and return from the forests only in the evening.
When I left school, my birdwatching ground to a halt in spite of numerous attempts at restarting it. When I came over here to the UK, I thought I could revive the interest, but its been 4 years now and little has happened until now. All that changed on my last trip home. This time round, I was equipped with a camera (Sony DSC H9)that touched the fringes of the requisite specifications for bird photography. .
Besides,this time, I had company. As always there was my brother continuously encouraging me, but also, I had discovered that Rosa`s parents were avid bird watchers too.
During my stay in India, I managed to click quite a few birds, of which, I`ve gathered a selection into the slide show below:


..and not just that, before leaving, all of us even managed to organize a bird watching trip to Thommankuthu waterfalls.
Therefore, when I returned to the UK, I had all intentions of kickstarting my birdwatching/bird photography again. However, the weather has been unbearably cold over the past few weeks to allow for any kind of outdoor hobby.

This week however, with a slight let up in the cold, I decided it was time to attempt something, and thus along with my camera, I set out on my cycle to discover an area that would allow for birdwatching.

Unknown to me until yesterday, is a wooded area lying very close to the university, rich in bird life of all kind. I stumbled upon it by cycling down an untested cycle path and was pleasantly surprised to find, looming ahead an expanse of thickly wooded area with this sign posted at its entrance:

I noticed that the path bifurcated into one that led into the woods while the other - a proper cycle path - went around its periphery.I would dearly have loved to head into the woods, but having my cycle with me negated that possibility. Thus I decided to leave the path through the woods for another time andexplore the rest of the track by cycle. Although stuck on my cycle, I was able to catch sight of many birds, including a Hoopoe - a bird which I havent sighted since schooldays and a Jay and even a deer which disappeared as soon as I fished out my camera.

Birds are among the toughest subjects to photograph, and one requires either incredible luck or infinite patience or both to get good pictures. Sighting a bird is tough enough but sighting it in a location which is amenable for photography is even harder, and actually clicking a picture by zooming, focussing and getting the rest of the settings to satisfaction, while at the same time making yourself oblivious to the bird, all in the split second before the it decides it`s had enough and flown away is quite a task. Me, with one hand holding the bike and the other clicking away, could`nt accomplish much and ended up with more pictures of branches and leaves than birds!
But the days work was more than satisfactory with some other sightings including a Mistle thrush, black headed gulls,Blue tits,Coal tits, Starlings and nuthatches among others
Some of the better pics of the day are pooled into the slideshow below:

I returned home very much satisfied of the days outcome but with a resolve to return, on foot sometime to enable me to creep up on some of the more elusive birds.

And thus, the very next day, I set out on my walk to the woods, only this time it wouldnt be that pleasant!

(below is a map with icons depicting various incidents click the icon for details)

View Larger Map
On my way to the woods, I passed by a complex housing the Ministry of Defence (MoD), and it so happened that my single minded focus on bird photography was drawn towards a large water body decorating the lawns of the MoD. In the water were many water birds, including what looked like terns , gulls and moorhens. I was quite excited to see especially the last in the middle of an urban area and my camera clicked away at them. All this time I was blissfully unaware that I was under surveillance .

I clicked away until the moorhens were scared away by some passerbys and then I continued my walk up to the woods. Half way through I saw a police car parked up ahead. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect that they were lying in wait for me and keenly observing my actions!
When I got to the car, two police - a male and a female got out and requested to have a word. The cops then went on to explain that they had recieved a report claiming that I had been acting suspiciously around the MoD building and that they`d like to have a look at the pictures I took. I was a bit miffed and scared at the same time - I mean, which idiot of a spy would go around in broad daylight clicking spy pictures in full view of the public and then walk slam bang into a waiting police car! However, being a student in a foreign country,I knew better than to argue and obliged eagerly. When the officer saw picture after picture of gulls and pigeons and moorhens, he was either convinced of my innocence or thought that it was a good coverup. Anyhow, he decided to play it safe and ran an identity check on me, all the while assuring me that everything was fine and that I hadnt done anything wrong and attempting to crack a few jokes.
Having done their duty, and cracking a few more jokes to put me at ease, they let me go my way. I was more disturbed than shaken by the encounter. It probably was not wise of me to click photos of birds (by the roadside) belonging to a pond of the Ministry of Defence!!. UK, has a strange way of making a foreigner feel a foreigner no matter how long he stays here, but incidents like this make it all the more hard for one to feel at home.

I did continue my walk and ended up with some more pictures before I headed back, but the cops had doused my spirits and I had lost that keenness of the previous day and I only continued out of a fear that I was being watched and that I had to convince them that I was a only a fledgling birdwatcher struggling to reestablish his hobby, and not the James Bond they were looking for!

However, thats not going to put me off and I intend to continue my bird watching/photography with a sustained vigour, and I`m even considering in investing in a little better equipment. I`m sure you`ll hear from me again,meanwhile take a look at the "spy" photo`s I clicked on the day in this slideshow:

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Thoma. The cop bit is so typical of UK...but I'm glad that they saw some humour in the birds and didn't acuse you of planting some messenger ducks in the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminds me of the FBI investigation i went through for photographing a church back here in Texas...

    Nice one thomacha

    Jai Hind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take pictures of the blue tits? Should be interesting....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...