25 February 2006

The Tiger Man.

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
- William Blake

For the past one year and more I’ve been blabbering on about my experiences here in the U.K. , and the response and encouragement has been great. I’ve been having some novel and exciting experiences here, but for those who are aware of the life my brother leads, the word excitement would take on a whole new meaning. For those who are not aware, my brother Joseph, spends the better part of his hours tracking tigers. That’s right..u didn’t read it wrong it is TIGER! To make it sound more official, he`s doing research on tigers in the Kanha national park.
Located in the Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh, Kanha national park is also a tiger reserve extending over 1,940-sq-kms. Apart from housing the king of all animals, it also plays host to the Black buck, the barking deer and the rare swamp deer- the Barasingha, among the relatively more common animals like leopards, hyenas, bison, wild boars, langurs and a whole lot of the wildest creatures u can imagine. For the bird watchers there are more than 147 species of birds too. It is in this lost world that my brother spends his daily life.

I know i`ve already caught the interests of a lot of you, because I sometimes wonder what his daily life is like too. He tells me he`s just returned from a 10 day nonstop trip tracking the intimate details of a tiger !…oh yeah ..he`s got transportation alright, only that its atop an elephant!…as if following a tiger isn’t exciting enough.! In this world of his there`s little communication with the outside world. When he finally did call me after months in the forest, he sounded excited about the fact that there was a new STD booth in the nearby area. Well atleast he can stop talking to the tigers and start with humans now. Luckily for us my brother is into photography, and through his pictures we get a glimpse of his life and some of his animal friends.
When I was a kid, I grew up reading about the exploits of Jim Cobertt and Kenneth Anderson. Similarly, I`m sure my brother has had his share of experiences and continues to live the life few of us can imagine. Perhaps theres enough to create another Jim Cobertt These pictures which im sharing with u now are all taken by him and each one has a story to tell.I found that simply looking at these pictures were so amazing that I had to share it with you all. I`m sure there`s plenty more and I would love to have him share it with us, as im sure would most of you. For those who know him and have been out of touch due to his remote location, he will be in the civilized world for about a month and can be contacted at jobolts@yahoo.com . Do get in touch with him and convince him to pen his experiences for us.

7 comments:

  1. great job tomman! but for u, the rest of the world wudn't know abt ur adventurous and fortunate big brother.

    and for some more of you, who may wonder who i am, i happen to be josef's friend from his masters days in pondicherry. and i must say, jo is someone i have always been awed by! his spirit, his spontaneity, his sheer passion for wildlife...
    from research on wolves to butterflies to now tigers!!! this man is ...i can never find the right words!

    err.., so when are we planning a trip to kanha, tomman??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and hey, did u all notice the cub peeping from behind mama tigress in that foto where she is resting poised on a rock..?
    our little prince did miss my eyes the first time i looked at that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kanha trip, well thats high on my list. If only i could extricate myself from the mess here.Probably doing a documentary! glad to have the botany side covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the tiger man is bull!! hes not the larger than life image portrayed. hes just lucky to be doin it.his work is easy. just needs to sit on his elephant and observe!
    the real heroes are the mahouts n forest gaurds who slog it out and yet theyre mostly forgotten...
    but if a story is needed and people want timepass i can play along!;-)
    cheer,
    'tiger man'
    like my bro's writing though! he's the thom'man' and that in itself is special! good goin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i'd been largely ignoring your 'tiger man' posts, thinking you were just adding 'national geographic' articles on endangered species or so..unbelievably clear pics stolen from some pro in the jungle!..thats what i thot.
    Is this ur bro, ousep??
    research on tigers in Kanha?? Good Lord!
    i rem Jops 'd mentioned once that ousep had a butterfly farm! that itself had sounded eccentric to me!!
    Ousep, i bow in front of thee!:)
    -Dany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Thomas,

    I am a student,interested in your brother's work.I would like to get in touch with him for information and advice on certain things.However the link from your blog doesnt open and i cant find his email address.Could you please help me by sending his email address to kaushalika@gmail.com??That will be really very nice of you.Thank you soo much!

    regards,
    Kaushalika Dharmadhikari.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...